Friday, June 1, 2012

Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee

What could be a more civilized occasion than Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee?  I must confess, I adore pageantry, especially royal pageantry - weddings, funerals, diamond jubilees - you name it, I am most certainly there.  Well, of course, not actually there, but in spirit, watching it on the telly, usually in my nightgown and a fetching chapeau, befitting the moment.

Did you watch the ABC News special with Katie Couric the other night?  It was divine.  The current crop of royals seem to act appropriately and with good taste, finally.  They are all quite charming, but especially Diana's boys, William and Harry.  I think they were raised quite well by both parents.  And that darling Catherine!  I cannot wait to watch her through the years.  She appears to be quite the royal jewel.  But in the end, it truly was all about the Queen.  I think she has had a remarkable reign and has been a stellar example of service and duty to her country and most importantly, always dressed appropriately for the occasion.  I think she is fabulous.  Who would not adore someone who literally embodies the motto, "Keep calm and carry on".  Oh, how I wish I could do that!

Queen Elizabeth's Coronation photo

Elizabeth is the second longest reigning monarch at 60 years, coming after Queen Victoria at 63 years.  She has been through 12 prime ministers and many, many world events.  And we won't even discuss her, as she called it, "annus horribilis" year of 1992 when three of her children separated/divorced their spouses, Windsor Castle caught fire, and her soon-to-be former daughters-in-law were featured prominently in the tabloids - Diana for her tell-all book and Sarah for the photo of her topless, having her feet kissed by a paramour. 

I know this is a doctored photo, but that doesn't make me love it any less!

Dogs are one of the great loves of her life, which endears her to me.  Elizabeth has had over 30 corgis during her life, receiving the first one, "Susan", for her 18th birthday.  Currently, she has Monty, Willow, and Holly.  I am sure named for Monty Python, "Whip my hair back and forth" Willow Smith, and my daughter, Holleigh.

Queen Elizabeth as photographed by Annie Leibovitz

This weekend is the central weekend of the year-long Diamond Jubilee.  I already have my DVR set on the BBC channel for the entirety of Sunday.  I do not want to miss a moment.  Then on Monday is the big concert.  What a grand mix of entertainers!  What is not to love about a line-up that includes Renee Fleming, Tom Jones, Elton John, Grace Jones, Stevie Wonder, Shirley Bassey, Lang Lang, Annie Lennox, and Paul McCartney?  Quite an eclectic group, don't you think?

The official Diamond Jubilee emblem drawn by 10 year-old Katherine Dewar of Chester

I will end this posting with Queen Elizabeth's own words...

Official Diamond Jubilee Message from Her Majesty (released on 6th February 2012)

Today, as I mark 60 years as your Queen, I am writing to thank you for the wonderful support and encouragement that you have given to me and Prince Philip over these years and to tell you how deeply moved we have been to receive so many kind messages about the Diamond Jubilee.

In this special year, as I dedicate myself anew to your service, I hope we will all be reminded of the power of togetherness and the convening strength of family, friendship and good neighbourliness, examples of which I have been fortunate to see throughout my reign and which my family and I look forward to seeing in many forms as we travel throughout the United Kingdom and the wider Commonwealth. 

I hope also that this Jubilee year will be a time to give thanks for the great advances that have been made since 1952 and to look forward to the future with clear head and warm heart as we join together in our celebrations. 

I send my sincere good wishes to you all.

ELIZABETH R

No comments:

Post a Comment