Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Best - and Easiest - Pecan Pie Ever!

Welcome to my second day of holiday recipes.   My husband's favorite dessert is pecan pie and I make it every Christmas Day, among lots of other times.  It is SO easy and I always have the ingredients on hand.  I can pop it in the oven at the drop of a hat.  I have seen lots of other pecan pie recipes and my husband has tasted plenty others, but he always says mine is by far the best.  You can either serve it as is, or put a dollop of whipped cream on the top.  Either way it is delish! 

Of course, I did not make up this terrific recipe, I found it in the Sunshine Sampler cookbook from the Entre Nous women's organization in Bradenton - a shout out to all my Bradenton friends!  I bought the cookbook at Jacobson's in Osprey back in 1982 when it was a relatively new book, being published just the year before.  The recipe is attributed to Mrs. I. C. Ross (Wilma) from Ft. Meade, FL.

I am not someone who has to have homemade pie crust, but if you are good at it, fabulous.  Even though I think of myself as a good cook, I have never even tried to master the whole pie crust thing, though Ina Garten and Martha Stewart make it look as easy as, well, pie!  I either use a frozen pie crust, which I always have deep dish and regular in my freezer or use the roll out kind in the diary section at Publix.  This particular recipe, I usually use the regular size frozen pie crust.  I hope your family loves it as much as mine!



Southern Pecan Pie

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 eggs, well-beaten
1 cup pecan halves (I usually do a heaping cup, which is probably more like a cup and a half.)
1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell

Mix sugar, syrup, and butter.  Add eggs and pecans.  Fill unbaked pastry shell with mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes longer.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment